It's the Spring equinox today and as much as I love Winter, I can't help my mind start to wander towards thoughts of farmers markets, the earthy scent of fresh new produce recently plucked from the boughs and scooped from the dirt, gentle sunshine falling on fresh shoots emerging from the thawed ground and furred wildlife emerging from their hiatus.
It's that in-between stage where excitement for the new, starts to grow and the first of the seasons produce begins to fill the crates and shelves. It is also prime time for Blood Oranges as they peak before leaving us again as the weather truly warms.
So in honour of this gloriously coloured fruit, I have made a vegan, refined sugar-free take on the pina colada meets Italian soda as this sweet, tangy delight is muddled with creamy organic coconut milk and cubes of ice to meld winter and summer together.
- 3 blood oranges (look for firm, heavy ones)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Organic coconut milk
- Sparkling water
- Grate the zest of 2 of the blood oranges
- Juice all 3 blood oranges
- Add zest, juice and maple syrup to a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer on low for 15 minutes
- Set aside to cool, then strain into a jar and put in the fridge until cold
- In tall glasses, fill about 1/4 of the cup with the blood orange syrup, top up the glass with ice
- Fill the glass most of the way with sparkling water and finish by gently pouring in a very good dash of coconut milk
- Serve Immediately